Botox; It is an exotoxin used in many medical fields, especially aesthetics, and used in the treatment of facial wrinkles and excessive sweating. Botox is obtained from bacteria called Clostridium Botulinum. It is the most reliable and easy method to eliminate wrinkles and lines on the face. Botox, which does not systematically affect all muscles, only affects the area where it is injected and prevents the release of substances that provide conduction in the nerve endings. It also temporarily stops electrical conduction between nerves and muscles or sweat glands. First applied in the treatment of lazy eye, blepharospasm and cervical dystonia, Botox was later used to correct wrinkles caused by frown lines.
What is Botox?Botox (Botulinum toxin) is a toxin derived from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It works by blocking the release of substances that provide conduction at the nerve endings and stopping the transmission between the nerves and the organs that the nerves reach. The cessation of nerve conduction leads to a reduction or complete loss of the functions of the organ that the nerve reaches.
What are the Reasons for Botox?The reasons for botox, which are considered aesthetically necessary, are as follows:
- To reduce or lose facial lines caused by mimic movements,
- To reduce sweating on the forehead, under arms, hands and feet,
- For the brow lift method,
- Botox application is among the preferred methods to treat migraine pain.
Who Is Botox Not Suitable For?Botox applications are not suitable for everyone. People who are inconvenient to have Botox are as follows:
- People allergic to botulinum toxin and product ingredients
- People with an infection
- People with muscular and nervous system disorders
- Pregnant women and nursing mothers
- People for whom Botox cannot give sufficient results for the level of wrinkles and sagging
- People who have developed resistance to the toxin after repeated botox application
- Botox applications pose a risk for people who use facial mimics and facial expression effectively and professionally.
How Long Does Botox Effect Last?The effect of Botox for facial wrinkles continues for an average of 4-6 months if applied for the first time. With repeated applications, this period can be extended up to 7-8 months. When Botox application is applied under the arm, it can regulate sweating for an average of 8-10 months. Again, thanks to repeated applications, this period can be extended up to 12 months.
What Should Be Considered Before Botox?After doing the necessary research and finding a safe doctor, the points to be considered before botox are as follows:
- Before Botox application, the doctor must be informed about the medications used. Aspirin and blood thinners should be stopped 2 weeks before botox application.
- The doctor should be informed about the foods and food supplements taken before Botox application. Foods such as green tea, vitamins C and E, fish oil, garlic, ginseng, echinacea and gingo biloba should be discontinued about 2 weeks before botox application as they have anticoagulant effects.
- Alcohol intake should be stopped 3 days before Botox application.
- If there is an active skin infection in the area where Botox applications will be performed, the application should be postponed.
How is Botox Applied?The things to know about the stages of Botox production are as follows:
- In the Botox procedure, botulinum toxin is diluted and injected directly into the muscle tissue.
- Local anesthetic cream is applied to the area approximately 15-20 minutes before the injection procedure.
- After the application area is cleaned, the toxin is injected into the muscles in small doses with the help of fine-tipped needles.
- The procedure takes an average of 10 minutes. Botulinum toxin injected into the muscle tissue starts to show its effect after an average of 24-72 hours. Sometimes, although rarely, this period can last up to 5 or 7 days. The final result is achieved in 10-14 days.
What Should Be Considered After Botox?In addition to the situations that should be avoided after all injectable procedures, the points to be considered after botox application are as follows:
- No makeup for 24 hours.
- Do not enter the pool for one day.
- Head tilting and head position exercises should be avoided for five hours.
- Sports and intense physical activity should be suspended for at least 24 hours.
- Skin care and facial massage should not be done for a week.
- Chemical peeling, microdermabrasion and other skin peeling procedures should not be applied.
- Avoid extreme cold and heat and sunbathing.
- The application area should not be tattooed.
- No pressure should be applied to the procedure area.
- Alcohol and caffeine consumption should be stopped for 3 days.
- You can take a bath on the same day, but avoid high temperature environments such as saunas and Turkish baths.
- Do not lie on your face for at least 5 hours after application.
What are the Side Effects of Botox?Botox has been used for aesthetic purposes for many years and has no proven side effects. Due to its application by injection, it is possible to see mild, dot-shaped redness on the skin. They are not permanent or painful. It disappears in about 1-2 hours. Possible botox side effects that can be seen temporarily are as follows:
- Mild stinging, burning, pain and edema at the injection site
- Mild headache
- Subcutaneous bleeding
- Itching or blistering of the skin
- Eyebrow twitching
- Asymmetry around the mouth
- Asymmetric smile
- Weakening of the neck muscles
- Eyebrow and eyelid drooping (ptosis)
- Difficulty closing the eyelid
- Double or blurred vision
- Tear reduction
- Difficulty swallowing
- Speech difficulties
- Effects such as difficulty in making certain sounds can be observed.
How to Treat Facial Wrinkles with Botox?It is possible to treat facial wrinkles with Botox. Due to the work of the facial mimic muscles on the face, the skin folds that cover it over the years become prominent and create dynamic lines on the face. These are most commonly seen on the forehead, between the eyebrows, at the corner of the eyes and around the lips. When the work of these muscles is weakened by applying Botox to the mimic muscles, the folding of the skin with muscle movements and the folding-induced lines are also reduced. With facial wrinkle treatment; the lines on the forehead and around the eyes, which give the person an older appearance, and the lines between the eyebrows, which give an angry and frowning appearance, are reduced.
How to Treat Hyperhidrosis with Botox?It is possible to treat hyperhidrosis (sweat glands) with Botox. By using Botox, the transmission between sweat glands and nerve endings can be stopped and the functioning of sweat glands can be reduced. Excessive sweating can cause a lot of problems for some people, especially in social and business life. When botox is applied to the under arm area, the complaints of these people are improved.
What Should You Know About Botox?In order to handle botox processes performed for aesthetic reasons without any problems, the things to be known about botox are as follows:
- Botox application should definitely be done in consultation with a doctor, by getting information about its suitability for you, its benefits and possible harms.
- As long as it is applied by experienced and specialized people, the possibility of negative situations is eliminated.
- The quality of the product to be used must be investigated.
- It would be much better to make a decision by consulting a reliable doctor and learning the benefits and harms that may occur in you after the procedure.
Can I Do Sports After Botox?If we look at the evaluations regarding the problem of doing sports after Botox, it is seen that sports and exercises should be completed one day before Botox application and no sports should be done for at least 24 hours afterwards. Because any pressure applied to the injection sites may cause the botox to shift from the area where it is injected. After the application, it is necessary to avoid simple movements such as bending and lying down for at least five hours, avoid intense activity and allow time for the botox to settle into the muscle. Wiping your forehead during sports or using head and face equipment can also cause pressure in the injection areas. The acceleration of blood flow during sports and exercise can also cause displacement of the Botox and carry its effect to the surrounding muscles. Increased blood pressure can also lead to edema and bruising. Considering all these, it is important for your health to act carefully.
Is Botox Permanent?The permanence of the Botox effect is a controversial issue. Since it is not a method with a permanent effect as in surgery, it should be stated that it should be repeated according to the needs of the person. The application may need to be repeated at certain intervals depending on the degree of mimic use and skin type characteristics. The effect of the application lasts for 4-6 months. Regular repeated applications increase the degree and duration of effectiveness.
Is There a Cream Alternative to Botox?It is not possible to remove wrinkles at the same level with creams instead of Botox injections. Botox is injected into the muscle by the doctor. Creams are applied to the skin and have a superficial effect. The mechanisms of action are different. While Botox effectively removes dynamic wrinkles, creams are only effective on superficial fine lines. The creams perform the functions of nourishing and moisturizing the skin and accelerating collagen formation. Superficially effective, it lightens the appearance of wrinkles. Botox, on the other hand, relaxes the muscles that cause wrinkles and prevents wrinkling of the skin for a certain period of time.
How Long Is Botox Repeated?Since Botox has no permanent effect, it may need to be repeated at certain intervals. Accordingly, the botox repetition time is as follows:
- When people who have botox applied 5-6 times regularly continue the application in the same order, the duration of the effect is prolonged over time and it starts to be applied at longer intervals.
Where to Get Botox?The people authorized to make Botox are as follows:
- Plastic surgeons,
- Botox can be performed by certified medical aesthetic specialists.
How to Treat Teeth Grinding (clenching) with Botox?The things to know about teeth grinding treatment with Botox are as follows:
- Bruxism is a medical term that refers to a problem that can cause physical pain and serious dental problems by unconsciously grinding the teeth while awake or asleep.
- Chronic teeth grinding can cause headaches, earaches, facial pain and even migraines.
- By injecting small doses of botulinum toxin directly into the masseter muscle (the large muscle that moves the jaw), the muscle is weakened as much as it needs to be to stop involuntary grinding of the teeth and clenching of the jaw. This significantly relaxes the muscles and reduces the wear and tear on the teeth caused by grinding.
- Damage to the TMJ (temporomandibular joint) and headaches are reduced or eliminated.
- Voluntary movements such as chewing and facial expressions are absolutely unaffected by Botox injection.
What is Minimal Botox?The things to know about minimal botox are as follows:
- Botox, a purified bacterium, is a reliable application that has been used in aesthetic surgery for many years. Since the early 1990s, it has also been used for wrinkle treatment.
- Botox injection is a method of relaxing the facial muscles to prevent them from overworking, thus reducing the appearance of eyebrows and eye contour, smile lines and crow’s feet.
- Botox injection becomes one of the most popular aesthetic procedures over time. There are many reasons for this. First of all, botox is a very effective method in wrinkle treatment.
- If vertical lines form between the eyebrows and this causes a frowning expression, the most effective way to eliminate this appearance is botox injection treatment. The same applies to forehead lines, crow’s feet and wrinkles on the neck.
- Botox, which has been used in the treatment of many diseases in medicine since the 70s, is a procedure with very few or very rare side effects. The procedure takes only a few minutes and the effects last 4-6 months on average.
- The degree of patient satisfaction is very high. There is no need for aesthetic surgery. It is one of the most invasive, that is, non-surgical surgical procedures.
What is Masseter Botox?Things to know about masseter botox are as follows:
- It is an aesthetic procedure in which the lower part of the face, where the masseter muscle is located, is thinned.
- Massetter Botox is aimed at treating deformities in the lower part of the face.
- A more proportional face shape is obtained by reducing the square face shape, which causes a masculine and hard appearance on the face.
- An oversized masseter muscle can cause discomfort not only aesthetically but also physically. For this reason, in some cases, this procedure is also applied to offer both a formal and functional treatment.
- Some personal habits can have a direct impact on the expansion of your jaw muscles (masseter). Excessive chewing of gum, chewing hard substances such as ice or chewing hard meat can all lead to an enlargement of the masseter muscle.
- Nighttime teeth clenching due to stress, i.e. bruxism, can also cause your jaw muscles to enlarge. Paying attention to these factors is effective in preventing muscle enlargement. However, if the necessary precautions have not been taken and muscle enlargement has occurred, it is possible to achieve the desired facial contours with masseter botox.